Flood Resilience Study
In 2019 the Collaboratory received $2 million in funding from the North Carolina General Assembly as part of a disaster recovery package approved by the legislature. The Collaboratory is charged with studying flood and resiliency against future storms in eastern North Carolina and developing an implementation plan with recommendations.
A team of researchers has developed a study plan and will be evaluating a number of issues, including:
- evaluating policies related to flood plain management, such as buyout of residential properties
- examining natural systems role in mitigating flooding
- assessing the vulnerability of critical infrastructure
- analyzing the financial risks associated with major weather events
- studying the public health impacts
The study is due to the legislature on June 1, 2021.