Members of the Collaboratory Advisory Board are appointed at the discretion of the UNC-Chapel Hill Provost to serve the University in an advisory role. Advisory Board members provide guidance and promote the priorities of the Collaboratory in its mission. Furthermore, the Advisory Board members ensure research rigor and compliance with the best principles of scientific inquiry.
Advisory Board members’ specific duties include:
- Project Selection: Advisory Board members will recommend timely research and project ideas for the Collaboratory to fund as well as anticipate and identify emerging topics and relevant policy issues that will require attention in the future.
- Project Staffing: Advisory Board members will help to identify issue experts and faculty at UNC-Chapel Hill and across the UNC System to lead and contribute to Collaboratory projects.
- Research Guidance: Advisory Board members will utilize their expertise and experience to define and shape the work of the Collaboratory’s research projects as well as to prioritize research projects.
- Grant Approvals: Advisory Board members will review and recommend modifications to funding proposals and projects under consideration by the Collaboratory.
- Report Review/Approvals: Advisory Board members will review and recommend modifications to all Collaboratory reports and publications ensuring accuracy and objectivity. Reports and studies will not advocate policy choices, but assist policy-makers in making decisions by advising on the latest science and policy options available.
Advisory Board members comply with the UNC Conflict of Interest Policy and Advisory Board meetings are noticed pursuant to open meeting requirements.
- Al Segars, Chair
PNC Distinguished Professor of Strategy and Entrepreneurship and Faculty Director of the Center for Sustainable Enterprise, Kenan-Flagler Business School
- Anita Brown Graham, Professor of Public Law and Government, School of Government
- Jaye Cable, Senior Associate Dean for Natural Sciences, Professor, Department of Marine Sciences
- Greg Characklis, Phillip C. Singer Distinguished Professor, Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering
- Don Hobart, UNC Associate Vice Chancellor for Research
- Mark Little, Executive Director of CREATE, UNC Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise
- Rick Luettich, Professor and Director, UNC Institute of Marine Sciences
- Mike Piehler, Chief Sustainability Officer, UNC-Chapel Hill and Director, UNC Institute for the Environment